Most of us have experienced days that take on their own identity, their own schedule. That was Day 3 of our new meal plan, so leftover fish was the only option for dinner, pushing the promised Chicken Fajitas to day 4, but menu 3.
I think its safe to say, it was worth waiting for!
Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled, mixed with chunky chicken sausage, sautéed spinach, mushrooms and onions. Add some chopped avocado on the side and you will be full for hours! This can be cooked as a scramble or an omelet, your choice.
Lunch: Left over salmon and roasted cauliflower
The cravings were pretty strong today. I should win a gold medal for passing right by the Christmas caramels in the pantry! I tried to keep the urges at bay with extra water and some cashews for snacking. I have to admit, the touch of salty seemed to do the trick for an hour or two until I was again wishing for a little sweet treat. There is something about being told you can’t have something and therefore that’s all the mind wants.
Dinner: Chicken Fajitas with a sprouted corn tortilla shell
Smashed avocados, lettuce & vegan shredded Mozarella cheese
The fajita is layered with cheese on the bottom, topped with a dollop of smashed avocados (mixed with a bit of lime juice, salt & pepper), lettuce, chicken mixed with peppers and onions and topped with a tablespoon more cheese for color.
Low Carb Chicken Fajitas
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp garlic olive oil
- 2 tbsp ghee butter, divided
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breast, chopped (for stir fry)
- 1/2 med bell pepper, red
- 1/2 med bell pepper, yellow or orange
- 1/2 med Vidalia sweet onion
- 1 1/2 small avocados, smashed
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup Vegan (non-dairy) mozarella, shredded
- Combine all the ingredients for the fajitas seasoning.
- In a medium bowl, combine olive oil, lime juice, mustard and fajita seasonings. Toss in chicken chunks until well coated. Let chicken marinate while you prepare the vegetables.
- Slice the onions and peppers.
- Heat 1 tbls. butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the bell peppers and cook another 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 1 tbls. butter in the same skillet and brown the chicken. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until heated through. Return the onion and pepper to the pan to heat.
- Compile the fajitas in the corn tortillas; avocado, lettuce, cheese, chicken, onions and peppers.
I can honestly say the meals are really superb – flavorful and filling – which is so important to keep me focused and on-target. I hope you’re finding the same success if you’re following along with us. We would love to hear how you’re doing!
Copyright © 2020 Montana Mountain Maven / Tina R. Cusker. All rights reserved.